A RECIPE FOR DIRTY RICE
A RECIPE FOR DIRTY RICE
Dirty Rice is an incredibly rich and tasty one-pot rice meal made from scratch. Dirty Rice is also a Classic Soul Food that has been present for centuries. It deserves a place on your dining table for weeknight meals and/or Celebratory meals.
The name might leave you thinking twice, but this Dirty Rice — originating in Southern Louisiana– is a blend of white rice, mixed with spices and aromatics and added with small pieces of meat like chicken liver and gizzards and ground beef or sausage. Liver haters you are going to love this too.
The addition of the liver and ground beef gives it’s “dirty” look — something you wouldn’t expect for cooked rice.
- 1-kilo chicken parts or whole chicken (cut)
- 4 cups of rice
- 1/2 kilo liver (cooked)
- 2 chopped bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 1 spring onion (chopped)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tsp. curry
- 1 tbsp. grinded Ghana /Cameroon pepper
- Seasoning cubes
- 1 medium onion
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. margarine/butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
HOW TO PREPARE DIRTY RICE
- Step 1: Wash and cook the chicken with Ghana pepper, 1 chopped garlic, curry, seasoning cubes, bay leaves and salt to taste.
- Step 2: When the chicken is cooked, remove from stock and fry/grill/bake till golden.
- Step 3: Wash the rice till water is clear (reducing the starch content) and pour in a pot, add the chicken stock, margarine and cook till soft or alternatively Parboil a few minutes, drain and add the chicken stock and cook till soft.
- Step 4: Grate the cooked liver with a grater (the smaller opening), set aside, heat up the vegetable oil and add the sliced onions, the other glove of garlic (chopped), stir fry 1min and pour in the grated liver.
- Step 5: Stir fry 2mins, add more salt and seasoning to taste (but if the chicken stock is well seasoned you can skip this) then add the rice and chopped vegetables gradually while stirring to mix very well.
- Step 6: Leave to simmer 3mins and it’s ready.
- Step 7: Your dirty rice is ready, serve with the chicken and enjoy.
Copyright © 2020 by My Woven Words: No part of this published blogpost and all of its contents may be reproduced, on another platform or webpage without a prior permission from My Woven Words except in the case of brief quotations cited to reference the source of the blogpost and all its content and certain other uses permitted by copyright law.