HOW TO MAKE TUWO SHINKAFA
Tuwo Shinkafa is a Nigerian dish which originates from the north of Nigeria, popular among the Hausa.
It is a thick pudding typically prepared using a non-parboiled white rice. It can also be prepared using rice flour, but this recipe shows the traditional method of using rice.
Since Tuwo Shinkafa is a Morsel, knowing how to make other morsels, like Amala or Eba, will make it easier for you to prepare this indigenous dish.
- Short/Medium grain soft rice.
- Water (enough quantity to cook the rice till very soft and sticky).
Please Note: Before you make the Tuwo Shinkafa Rinse the rice in cold water and put in a sizeable pot.
METHOD OF PREPARATION
- Step 1: Pour just enough water to cover the rice and start cooking at medium heat.
- Step 2: When the first dose of water dries up, check the rice by mashing it between your fingers. If the rice grains have even a tiny resistance when you press them, then it needs to be cooked some more.
- Step 3: Reduce the heat to low, add a little bit more water and continue cooking till the water dries.
- Step 4: Repeat the process till the rice is so soft that it melts when you press on it.
- Step 5: Once it is very soft, mash the rice with a wooden spatula by moving the rice in small quantities from the far end of the pot to your side of the pot.
- Step 6: Fold the mound of tuwo and repeat till all the rice grains have turned into a mass of tuwo.
- Step 7: Cover and leave it to steam for about 2 minutes.
- Step 8: Mix thoroughly and dish serving quantities onto a thin plastic film and wrap them up. This wrapping prevents the tuwo from drying up. You can also serve them in smaller balls as shown in the image above.
Copyright © 2020 by My Woven Words: No part of this published blogpost and all of its contents may be reproduced, on another platform or webpage without a prior permission from My Woven Words except in the case of brief quotations cited to reference the source of the blogpost and all its content and certain other uses permitted by copyright law.
For permission requests, contact the admin on [email protected], or WhatsApp/Text him on +2347036065752
Content is king, My Woven Words as a platform focuses on online publication of genuine and verified content. Our motto is: “we only write what is right”.
We visit historical sites and esteemed individuals with a reliable reservoir of knowledge to create the contents we publish.
This requires money. Furthermore, we spend a lot from maintaining the blog to promoting the contents across the globe. Your Donations will go a long way in keeping us afloat. You can Donate here on our website. No amount is small!