PREPARING (FONIO) AND MINCED MEAT
Fonio looks like the next cereal that will take the food scene by storm. A visit to Jos, Plateau state and you might fall in love with Fonio also called Acha locally. With its great nutritional qualities and short cooking time, Fonio (Acha) is a cereal that should be featured more regularly in our meals.
Today on Woven Recipes, we are sharing with you a recipe for Stir fry fonio.
The challenge encountered with using local Fonio in some places is the ability to wash and remove sand. Locally the women use calabash to wash and this gets out all the sand.
The benefit of eating cereal based foods lies in the lower glycemic index. The glycemic index of the carbohydrate food indicates its impact on our blood sugar level. Cereal carbohydrates like Fonio releases glucose more slowly into the bloodstream so that available insulin can digest the glucose.
Root carbohydrate like yam or cassava on the other hand release glucose more rapidly therefore requires more insulin. This is why it is recommended that diabetic patients eat more of cereal based carbohydrates but in very controlled portions.
INGREDIENTS FOR FONIO
- 1 cup Fonio
- ½ cup Minced Meat
- 1 table spoon butter
- 1 clove Garlic (minced)
- 1 piece bay leaf
- Scotch Bonnet Pepper to taste
- ¼ Onions
- Handful Spinach
- Oil (2 cooking spoons)
- Coriander (optional)
- Seasoning cubes to taste
- Salt to taste
HOW TO PREPARE FONIO (ACHA)
- Season minced meat with chopped coriander, beef seasoning, garlic, salt and black pepper and allow to marinade for a 30 minutes. You may wish to sprinkle on a little water to allow the seasoning permeate the meat.
- Heat the oil, fry the onion and pepper till translucent.
- Add the seasoned minced meat and stir to separate the meats as it cooks so it does not form one solid ball.
- Separate the minced meat well, lower the heat and cover the pot and allow meat to cook till soft. You may want to add very little water for the mince to cook properly.
- In the meantime rinse the Fonio in cold water, strain and set aside. Heat the butter, fry a little onion with a little salt and pour in the Fonio and stir fry. When it has fried properly, add a little chicken stock at a time, cover and cook. If you don’t have chicken stock, you can use chicken seasoning cubes and cook in water. Use a fork to spread the cereal so it does not get lumpy.
- When Fonio is soft, stir into minced meat sauce with the spinach, cook together for a few minutes and serve warm.
Fonio (Acha) is used for morning pottage, swallow and other dishes.
Thanks for visiting My Woven Words. We are passionate about historical heritage and we are dedicated to supplying nearly extinct historical and cultural contents to the world on a platter of gold.
Support us on our quest with Your donations by clicking the donate button below
Copyright © 2019 by My Woven Words: No part of this published blogpost and all of its contents may be reproduced, on another platform or webpage without a prior permission from My Woven Words except in the case of brief quotations cited to reference the source of the blogpost and all its content and certain other uses permitted by copyright law. For permission requests, contact the admin on [email protected], or WhatsApp/Text him on +2347036065752•