A RECIPE FOR COCONUT JOLLOF RICE
Jollof rice is a dish popular with many West African countries, and you certainly can’t fault this dish when cooked right.
Traditional jollof rice is always a hit, but do you know there are so many other tasty variations? One example is coconut jollof rice.
Coconut Jollof rice, is almost the same thing with the regular Jollof rice, But the mix of ingredients like coconut makes this dish extra adventurous.
From the coconut oil to the use of the desiccated coconut oil, makes every morsel absolutely delicious.
The Coconut Jollof rice recipe below serves two to three people.
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 coconut (you’ll need the water) – optional
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 medium onion (preferably red)
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 ata rodo/scotch bonnet (depending on how spicy it is/ you like your food, you can add an extra one)
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 10 teaspoons beef or chicken stock
- 2-3 seasoning cubes
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Wash tomatoes, bell pepper, ata rodo, and peeled onion, then blend until smooth.
- In a clean pot, heat vegetable oil. Add in curry powder, thyme leaves, and the remaining sliced onions. Fry until onions are golden.
- Pour in your blended mix and cook until the stew is slightly thick. Add in beef stock and cook for an extra five minutes, then add coconut water from your coconut and coconut milk. Cook for additional five minutes, then add seasoning cubes.
- Turn the heat down low, then add in your jasmine rice. The trick to cooking any type of rice is cooking it on low heat and letting the trapped heat do the work. Cover the pot with cling film or foil paper and let the rice cook for about 20 minutes without turning it.
- After 20 minutes, check that rice is cooking evenly and use a wooden spoon to stir. Do not stir too much or you will break the rice.
- If at any point the rice needs more liquid to cook, use more coconut water/milk. Try to avoid using water.
- Jasmine rice cooks roughly in about 30 – 40 minutes. When all the liquid is dry and the rice is soft, turn off the fire.
- Enjoy rice with any type of protein of your choice. I served this with some grilled plantain and stewed goat meat, snails and shrimps.
Thanks for visiting My Woven Words. We are passionate about historical heritage and we are dedicated to supplying nearly extinct historical and cultural contents to the world on a platter of gold.
Support us on our quest with Your donations by clicking the donate button below
Copyright © 2019 by My Woven Words: No part of this published blogpost and all of its contents may be reproduced, on another platform or webpage without a prior permission from My Woven Words except in the case of brief quotations cited to reference the source of the blogpost and all its content and certain other uses permitted by copyright law. For permission requests, contact the admin on [email protected], or WhatsApp/Text him on +2347036065752
You May Also Like
- UNTOLD FACTS AND THE ORIGIN OF THE “ARE ONA KAKANFO” TITLE
- BEING IN A RELATIONSHIP
- THE MYSTERIOUS AND MYTHICAL SOGIDI LAKE IN AWE, OYO STATE
- UGANDAN BANYANKOLE TRIBE; WHERE BRIDE’S AUNT TEST-RUN GROOM’S POTENCY
- PROFESSOR (CHIEF) HON. NATHANIEL DUROJAYE (N.D) OYERINDE (OBE): THE FIRST NIGERIAN PROFESSOR
- AJE OLOKUN – THE DEITY OF WEALTH AND MARKET PROFITABILITY
- THE FEARLESS AND GALLANT AMAZONS OF DAHOMEY
- BIOGRAPHY OF (SIR) CHIEF (HON.) LAWYER, SAMUEL LADOKE AKINTOLA (GCON)
- ALL ABOUT A TRIBE IN NAMIBIA; WHERE THEY OFFER SEX TO GUESTS