A RECIPE FOR BEANS AND YAM POTTAGE
Welcome to Woven Recipes, today we’re giving you an outstanding recipe by teaching you how to prepare beans and yam pottage.
Beans known as Ewa to the Yorubas are unpopular staple foods because it is associated with bloating, flatulence and indigestion. Most people have one reason or the other why they do not eat beans. Yet, it is advisable to to have beans in the family menu especially when you have young children in the family.
How to Cook Beans Porridge [Video]
“Life is a pot of beans” – Anonymous.
I wonder how that quote came about. This is what I think it means though; Just throw all the ingredients into the pot and let it cook. While it cooks, don’t bother about digging in because it’d still be hard. At its own time and once it’s soft enough to eat (you’d know), just dig in. Whatever you see is what you get. Sounds really philosophical doesn’t it?
Beans and yam porridge is a hearty dish enjoyed across the country. It’s a one pot dish which has the essential classes of food such as protein, carbohydrate, fat and oil. When combined with yam, it takes it to a whole new level of awesomeness. some people enjoy it watery while other enjoy it thick. You could add other ingredients such as fish but it’s usually better when it’s cooked plain. Beans and yam porridge could be eaten hot the way it is or taken with drinking garri or bread. Enjoy!
- 3 cups brown/black eyed beans (picked and soaked in water for some hours)
- Chunks of yam
- 1.5 cooking spoons of red palm oil
- 2 medium onions
- Dry or fresh Pepper (blended)
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 big stock cube
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
Cooking Method: Boiling
Recipe Yield: 4 Servings
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO COOK BEANS AND YAM POTTAGE
- Add water to about 2 inches above the beans, sliced onions and allow to boil till the beans is partially soft. Add water to cook till soft as required to.
- Once the beans is soft, add the chunks of yam and allow to cook for 10 minutes.
- In another smaller pot, pour the red oil and add onions. Saute for a minute and add pepper, salt and stock cubes. Fry for another 3 minutes and set aside. This gives your porridge a special taste.
- Add the palm oil sauce into the yam and beans pot.
- Allow to cook till the yam is soft and any excess water is dried.
Your beans and yam porridge is ready. If you cooked the beans and yam porridge without any of the additions, serve with Fried Plantain, or fried sweet potatoes.
Your opinion matter, please drop your comment below.
Thanks for visiting My Woven Words; we only write what is right!
Don’t forget to drop your comments, thanks!
You May Also Like
- THE MYSTERIOUS AND MYTHICAL SOGIDI LAKE IN AWE, OYO STATE
- ALL ABOUT A TRIBE IN NAMIBIA; WHERE THEY OFFER SEX TO GUESTS
- UNTOLD FACTS AND THE ORIGIN OF THE “ARE ONA KAKANFO” TITLE
- BEING IN A RELATIONSHIP
- AJE OLOKUN – THE DEITY OF WEALTH AND MARKET PROFITABILITY
- THE FEARLESS AND GALLANT AMAZONS OF DAHOMEY
- BIOGRAPHY OF (SIR) CHIEF (HON.) LAWYER, SAMUEL LADOKE AKINTOLA (GCON)
- PROFESSOR (CHIEF) HON. NATHANIEL DUROJAYE (N.D) OYERINDE (OBE): THE FIRST NIGERIAN PROFESSOR
- UGANDAN BANYANKOLE TRIBE; WHERE BRIDE’S AUNT TEST-RUN GROOM’S POTENCY