THE NIGERIAN MUSIC INDUSTRY, DEAD OR ROTTEN?
THE NIGERIAN MUSIC INDUSTRY, DEAD OR ROTTEN? – BRAIT AP
The Nigerian Music Industry is one unlucky place for an Indie artist. I’m left to agree with others that the Nigeria Music Industry is not structured. The South Africa and Kenya Music Industry is far better than the Nigerian music Industry because they are well structured.
Over the years, we have seen a massive shift in the music industry world. Digital Music, Tours, Concerts etc. have overtaken CD sales and other forms of generating revenue for an artist. While the likes of the South African, Kenyan and others have quickly adapt to streaming and buying of music, The Nigerian counterpart are still downloading and struggling streaming their favorite artiste on SoundCloud and YouTube.
As an Indie artist, this is very challenging as your streams and album sales can generate you revenues. In South Africa and Kenya, the streaming and album sales culture has set many Indie artist to become professionals musicians and even help them set up their own record labels.
In the Music Business, artiste are becoming DIY musicians refusing record deals and setting up their own record labels. Indie artist are becoming professional musicians enjoying their freedom (revenues).
In Nigeria, upcoming artist and the likes are left at the mercy of record labels. My advice to any upcoming artist especially Hip hop talents is build your own brand and stand with it. Don’t limit your music, there are millions of people out there waiting to hear something new and different. Don’t wait or call on record labels to sign you. If they don’t, sign and promote yourself.
BY BRAIT AP
Brait Ap is a Poet, Editorial writer and Indie Artist. He’s the founder of Blackwriters Literary Society, a network for independent writers.
Facebook: Brait Ap
Instagram: brait_ap 08081122864
You May Also Like
- UGANDAN BANYANKOLE TRIBE; WHERE BRIDE’S AUNT TEST-RUN GROOM’S POTENCY
- PROFESSOR (CHIEF) HON. NATHANIEL DUROJAYE (N.D) OYERINDE (OBE): THE FIRST NIGERIAN PROFESSOR
- AJE OLOKUN – THE DEITY OF WEALTH AND MARKET PROFITABILITY
- ALL ABOUT A TRIBE IN NAMIBIA; WHERE THEY OFFER SEX TO GUESTS
- BIOGRAPHY OF (SIR) CHIEF (HON.) LAWYER, SAMUEL LADOKE AKINTOLA (GCON)
- THE MYSTERIOUS AND MYTHICAL SOGIDI LAKE IN AWE, OYO STATE
- UNTOLD FACTS AND THE ORIGIN OF THE “ARE ONA KAKANFO” TITLE
- THE FEARLESS AND GALLANT AMAZONS OF DAHOMEY
- BEING IN A RELATIONSHIP