Coconut fried rice is another delicious variation of the basic fried rice. It is quite easy to prepare and always a welcomed change from the usual Nigerian fried rice.
INGREDIENTS FOR COCONUT FRIED RICE
- 21/2 cups of rice (I used 400g tin to measure)
- 400g homemade or shop bought coconut milk
- Chicken stock
- Mixed vegetables
- Green and red chillies, sliced (substitute with red and green bell peppers)
- Liver, boiled, cubed and fried (sorry I forget to measure the amount I used but I only used a little)
- 150g sweet corn
- 1levelled tbsp curry powder
- 1tsp thyme
- 1-2.5C. spoon of vegetable oil (use less if you are you using chicken stock that already contains oil)
- Seasoning (chicken seasoning preferably)
- Spring onions
- 1tsp parsley (optional)
- 1 medium sized onions, chopped
HOW TO COOK COCONUT FRIED RICE
- Wash rice till water runs clean and set aside
- Place a pan on a medium heat, add the coconut milk and rice (if the coconut water is not enough, add water to it and make sure the water is covering the rice just a little bit, about a inch higher than the rice) reduce the heat, and bring the rice to boil for about 8-10 minutes.
- Add 1tsp of curry, thyme, parsley, seasoning, little salt and some of the chicken stock. Mix everything together till well combined.
- Reduce the heat and cook rice till about 90-95% tender. (At this point, you can choose to add 1Cspn of vegetable oil to the rice but if you feel the oil from the stock would be enough, don’t add the vegetable oil)
- Check in between, add water/stock if needed and don’t forget to check for salt and seasoning
- Once the rice is cooked, add the chopped peppers to the rice and stir in to combine. Take the rice off the heat and set aside
- On a separate pan/wok
- Add 2tbs vegetable oil and heat for about 2 minutes, add mixed vegetables and chopped onions and stir fry till onions becomes translucent. This should be between 3-5 minutes.
- Add a pinch of curry, thyme and seasoning to the vegetables and stir together. Add fried livers and stir fry for another minute.
- Add sweet corn, stir together to combine and take it off the heat.
- Place the almost cooked coconut rice back on a medium heat, add the stir fried vegetables and combine together. (You can use a wooden ladle for this job as it makes the job faster) at this stage of the cooking, you shouldn’t need to add water/stock to the rice.
- The remaining steam in the rice will do the job.
- Take the rice off the heat and serve with some lovely protein of choice.
Read more of our recipes, check out the columns below:
Your opinion matter, please drop your comment below.
Thanks for visiting My Woven Words; we still write what is right!• •