OSCA WOVEN WORDS COMPETITION – OLADIGBO FERANMI
OSCA WOVEN WORDS COMPETITION – OLADIGBO FERANMI
“Imagination gives birth to things unknown but the writer’s pen turns them into shapes and gives to them living breaths.”
The 2018 OSCA WOVEN WORDS COMPETITION was organized by My Woven Words and it was only for undergraduates of tertiary institutions in Osun State as approved by the ministry of education, Osun state. There were Terms and Conditions for contestants.
OSCA Woven Words Competition remains the “first-of-its-kind” and “one-of-its-kind” in Osun state, Nigeria. To avoid Conflicts of Interest, we reached out to a number of unbiased scholars in a university outside Osun State to assess the submitted manuscripts and select the best contestants. All the contestant got a certificate of participation and some of the submitted manuscripts were selected for online publication.
TOPIC: The Tenacity of Nigerian Youths in National Development and Leadership Roles.
Tenacity and adversity are old foes.
– Chinese Proverb
Sincere gratitude to the organisers of this competition.
In Candy Jar (2018), a debate movie. In the final debate competition between Hemlock Prep and Washington High. Sami Gayle, playing Lona in the movie, made a surprise decision to abandon the technicalities and rather speak from the heart. I would adopt the same style in this write-up. A direct swap of ambiguity for simplicity and clarity.
The write–up will take the following form:
1st is a brief explanation of the terms. Then, a personal experience, coupled with other examples of youth and youth-led movements making impact.
Finally, conclusion and/or closing statement.
Tenacity is the determination to keep doing what you are doing.
A youth is someone within the ages of 18 and 40.
Development is the process of growth or advancement.
Leadership is positive social influence towards achieve a goal.
In economics, random sampling is used to reduce the cost examination of a large amount of goods. Thus, the writer chooses to sample a random youth since it‘s not possible to examine all the youths.
The youth chosen is Oladigbo Feranmi, a 400l Economics student of Redeemer’s University.
Feranmi is the last of three sons raised by a single mother, a medical doctor, Dr. (Mrs) Oladigbo.
He, like every other middle class youth, had to endure the life of struggle to reach the university level i.e. the characteristically tough living conditions of the country; epileptic power supply, low standard of living, peer pressure, the effect of being raised by a single parent; with no social assistance from the government, coupled with the emotional and psychological burdens of a typical Nigerian youth.
Despite all this he has grown up to be a responsible and law abiding Nigerian youth while contributing his quarter to national development coupled with various leadership roles.
He is the convener of a political movement, A New Nigeria (A.N,N), not to be confused with Fela Durotoye’s Alliance for a New Nigeria. The group was founded to help educate and create a new generation of political actors who will ultimately be agents of national development through revolutionary leadership.
Feranmi has also held various leadership positions, including:
1. Chairman 100l – 300l Planning committee;
2. General Secretary of the Chapel, RUN;
3. Vice President, Economics, RUN;
4. Co-chair, Debate team, RUN;
5. Captain Mgt. Sci. Debate Team, RUN;
6. Student Rep. Council Economics, RUN;
7. Course Rep 400l Economics, RUN;
8. Convener, RUN student leaders.
The example of this gentle man shows the tenacity of the Nigerian youth in the face of adversity to contribute to national development via leadership roles.
Other notable youth leaders and youth-led movements include:
1. Fela Durotoye – A.N.N Nigerian presidential candidate
2. NotTooYoungToRun movement
3. Concerned Nigerians movement
4. Banky W – Music Industry
5. Falz – Music Industry
6. Jay Jay Okocha – retired footballer
7. Johnson Okunade – CEO mywovenwords
8. Alliance for a New Nigeria (A.N,N)
In conclusion, in the face of adversity and blatant failure of the current social, political and leadership structure. The youths have no other option but to be tenacious.
The examples of youths making things happen, however, gives reason to be optimistic.
This is beyond this competition.
It’s rather an urgent issue of urgent national interest.
GOD BLESS NIGERIA.
READ MORE: OSCA WRITE-UPS
Thanks a million!
You May Also Like
- AJE OLOKUN – THE DEITY OF WEALTH AND MARKET PROFITABILITY
- BIOGRAPHY OF (SIR) CHIEF (HON.) LAWYER, SAMUEL LADOKE AKINTOLA (GCON)
- BEING IN A RELATIONSHIP
- ALL ABOUT A TRIBE IN NAMIBIA; WHERE THEY OFFER SEX TO GUESTS
- THE FEARLESS AND GALLANT AMAZONS OF DAHOMEY
- THE MYSTERIOUS AND MYTHICAL SOGIDI LAKE IN AWE, OYO STATE
- PROFESSOR (CHIEF) HON. NATHANIEL DUROJAYE (N.D) OYERINDE (OBE): THE FIRST NIGERIAN PROFESSOR
- UGANDAN BANYANKOLE TRIBE; WHERE BRIDE’S AUNT TEST-RUN GROOM’S POTENCY
- UNTOLD FACTS AND THE ORIGIN OF THE “ARE ONA KAKANFO” TITLE