Entrepreneurship is the act of creating a business or businesses while building and scaling it to generate a profit. However, as a basic entrepreneurship definition, it’s a bit limiting. The more modern entrepreneurship definition is also about transforming the world by solving big problems. The leaders of Bowen university knows this and they care so much about Bowenites which is the main reason why they organized a three day workshop with the theme; Securing the Future through Entreprenuership.
The first speaker; Osas
He opened the floor by mentioning crucial attributes that are expected of an entrepreneur:
- Looking for solution to identified problems.
- Always have a jotter with you where you can put down ideas.
- Critical thinking on how to solve problems.
- Don’t fight a system, create a better model that outsmarts the current model.
- You already have what it takes to excel, just discover your talents and use it to create value.
- Knowledge in other fields that can help you in your field: As a medical doctor, you can learn about artificial intelligence and use it to maximize your services.
- Leverage on other things: skills that differentiate you from the crowd.
- Pay more attention to your Social lifestyle.
After that, he Introduced us to: www.developer.ibm.com/africa; IBM’s digital – nation Africa free skill aquisition program. The platform has three different categories as mentioned below:
Explorer: For people new to emerging technologies.
Innovator: For people that knows the basics of emerging technology and want to build innovative solutions.
New collar: For people that wants to get a better job.
Second speaker; Taopheek Babayeju
Taopheek Babayeju is a seasoned professional with about two-decade experience in consulting, technology and project management. He specializes in using innovative ideas and technology to solve complex problems and improve business performance.
Facebook, instagram and twitter: @taopheek
He started by stressing on how entrepreneurship is dependent on the entrepreneur’s mindset. The he mentioned some vital points that should be focused on as an entrepreneur:
- To be an entrepreneur, you have to think like an entrepreneur.
- Knowledge acquisition is important, you can’t see beyond your knowledge.You need to diversify.
- Find problems and solve them.
- Your skills can take you to anywhere, you ability to solve problems can take you to highly prestigious places.
- The value you create is equal to the amount of money you can generate.Your environment, the people you surround yourself with determines a lot of things.
- The Exposure you get from the environment your are helps in giving you a good mindset.
- The experience you have; your experience shapes your vision.
- Don’t be rigid about life, flow with the things happening so that you can also have different experiences.
- Innovation stays in the realm of value, technology is in the realm of tool.
- You can create value and generate money with innovation.
- Technology is a tool for innovation.
- Think of creating additional value and people will pay for it.
- Business is like a live performance, there is no guarantee that there won’t be failure.
- Put passion in whatever idea/product you are selling.
The third speaker – Dr. Lanre Philips
Lanre Phillips is a career Sales/Marketing professional whose experience has spanned over 21 years in the FMCG, Banking and Telecommunications industry. He has thrived in intellectually stimulating and dynamic work environments that have ensured growth and development.
Facebook, instagram and twitter: @elpee
A businessman with two masters degree and a doctorate degree. He mentioned some key points on entrepreneurship:
- Ideas does not make you money.
- Before starting any business, identify a problem you want to solve.
- Find a solution to the identified problem.
- If you identify a problem, you can employ people to come up with a solution to the problem.
- Check the market size.
- Always look for a partner or a co-partner. Never walk alone.
- Don’t be too complicated in explaining your ideas to people, especially when you need there help or contribution. Be simple, direct and straightforward.
- The excitement of yesterday is the mediocrity of today.
- The world is rotating and revolving, if you stand still, you’ll be left behind. Rotate and revolve, learn about the new trends.
- Know your environment.Know your business.
- Know your customer.
- Focus first on the customers then the consumers.
- Building product: focus on building high quality.
- Price: Highly esteemed company employs high valued employees to produce high quality products for high class of people at a highly expensive price.
- The buying decision of a customer is not made in his head, the decision is made in his mind.
- Your business is not about you, it’s about your customers.
- Passion does not generate money in every case, it’s your ability to find a problem and identify the solution to that identified problem that can generate money money for you as a business man.
By Johnson Okunade
I’m a Writer, Historian, Computer Scientist, knows about Management Information System, Blogger, Web Developer, Web Content Creator, Culture Activist, A Bowen University Student (Proudly Bowenite), and a friend-to-all. Feel Free to Contact me on Anything.
Facebook: Johnson Jakins
LinkedIn: Johnson Okunade
Fb Fan Page: Johnson Okunade
GooglePlus: Johnson Jakins
Call, Message, Whatsapp: 07036065752
Read More on my Column
COMMENT; JOIN THIS CONVERSATION!