SIMPLE STEPS TO MAKE TOFU – BY ESTHER YILA.
As a girl who is from the north and lives in the north, Tofu or “Awara” as it is popularly called in the northern part of Nigeria is found in almost every street corner selling at 5 naira per piece. Awara or Tofu is a very healthy and tasty snack with its main ingredient being soya beans.
- 3 cups of soya beans.
- Freshly squeezed lime juice or alum (this is to be used as a coagulant(to separate liquids from solids)
- Groundnut oil for frying.
- Sieve cloth/Ase (the same one used for ogi/pap)
- A big pot for boiling
- A frying pan
- Soak the soya beans overnight.
- Drain and grind in a blender (add about 3 cups of water while grinding)
- Pour the grinded soya beans.
- Boil for about 45 minutes to 1 hour and stir frequently (be careful, the milk has a tendency to boil over).
- Reduce the heat, add in the lime juice or alum which has been soaked in water to dissolve, do not stir, at this tofu should start to form.
- Turn off the heat, cover the pot and set aside to cool.
- Place the Ase in a bowl , pour the soya beans and strain as much liquid as you can this liquid is soy milk which can be taken as a drink later.
- Press down on the tofu bag with a tray under and a heavy object for instance a mortar to remove excess water from the tofu.
- Leave it for a period of time till you’re sure the excess liquid has drained completely and allow it to settle.
- cut the tofu into desired sizes and season with salt, Maggi and pepper. Deep fry until golden brown
Tofu or “Awara” can also be used in stir fry, stews and sauces as a great meat alternative. A personal favorite of mine on how tofu can be enjoyed is with yaji (seasoned pepper powder) and chopped raw onions.
By Esther Yila
I’m a story teller. I enjoy listening to music and reading.
Contact – 08092062700
Instagram – _togoryamba