FEATHER FASHION IN NIGERIA – BY M FARRY-OKUOBEYA ESIRI
FEATHER FASHION IN NIGERIA
Feather clothing’s are everywhere now but in fact feather was first introduced into fashion during the middle ages. Feathers were originally a symbol of high social standing. They were used to decorate head dresses and jewellery at the initial stage but now in this present it has become a twist. Recently fashion designers have used feathers to create an entire garment, not just as an accent to their designs.
The feathers used in clothing decorations come from several types of birds, most commonly ostriches, heron, egret’s and peacocks, amongst others. Craftsmen who made and sold the said feather decorations were called “plumassiers”. These workers added feather plums to hats, trims to gowns and even head decorations for horses. Not only were feathers fashionable in garments, but they were also used on furniture.
Bringing our topic of discussion down to our focal location; Nigeria, using feathers has subtly become the “in-thing” in our fashion industry. This has been seen in weddings, social events, et cetera. Feather fashion was once again brought into the limelight by the last AMVCA awards2018 by these beauties; OLUWABAMIKE OLAWUNMI and UCHE NWAEFUNA.
Oluwabamike popularly called “bam bam” and Uche an actress popularly called “hush” both looked outstanding in these beautifully adorned feathered dresses. Bam bam stepped out in a feather tube dress, while Uche in a sleeveless feathered dress ensemble with lace toppings. In my opinion, their dresses were artistic and they definitely stood out in them. From the look of things it is certain that these controversial but wonderful dresses took a long time to be put in shape and these two beautiful actresses might just be the trendsetters that will pique the interest of people towards feather fashion in the Nigerian fashion industry.
Written by – M Farry-Ukuobeya Esiri
I appreciate literature and art alot and I’m always self motivated.
You May Also Like
- BEING IN A RELATIONSHIP
- PROFESSOR (CHIEF) HON. NATHANIEL DUROJAYE (N.D) OYERINDE (OBE): THE FIRST NIGERIAN PROFESSOR
- AJE OLOKUN – THE DEITY OF WEALTH AND MARKET PROFITABILITY
- ALL ABOUT A TRIBE IN NAMIBIA; WHERE THEY OFFER SEX TO GUESTS
- THE FEARLESS AND GALLANT AMAZONS OF DAHOMEY
- UGANDAN BANYANKOLE TRIBE; WHERE BRIDE’S AUNT TEST-RUN GROOM’S POTENCY
- BIOGRAPHY OF (SIR) CHIEF (HON.) LAWYER, SAMUEL LADOKE AKINTOLA (GCON)
- THE MYSTERIOUS AND MYTHICAL SOGIDI LAKE IN AWE, OYO STATE
- UNTOLD FACTS AND THE ORIGIN OF THE “ARE ONA KAKANFO” TITLE