Welcome To My Woven Words! You are on your path to discovering how to prepare, a mouth-licking, palatable recipe… You can and will prepare a sensational grilled tilapia, just by following simple steps..
Ingredients for Grilled Tilapia
- 2 medium Tilapia Fish
For the marinade:
- 4 small stock cubes
- 10 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 habanero pepper
- 10 Parsley leaves
- Salt (to taste)
- 2 very sweet oranges
- 1 big onion
- Barbecue sauce
Before you grill the fish:
Prepare the ingredients
- Peel the garlic cloves and pick the parsley.
- Pound the garlic cloves with the habanero pepper and parsley using a mortar and pestle or any other kitchen tool/gadget that lets you grind/blend ingredients without adding water.
- Crush the stock cubes.
- Cut the oranges into wedges. The 2 oranges give 16 wedges.
- Cut the onion into thin slices.
- Scale the fish and remove the intestines and gills by gently opening the opercle (gill cover) and removing everything from there. Do not cut open the side of the fish to remove these. That way, you have a pocket to hold the stuffing rather that an open side that can’t hold anything. Where I live, the fish mongers do this for me upon request.
- When done, rinse the fish very well with clean water and set aside.
Prepare the marinade
- Pour the vegetable oil into a bowl.
- Add the ground garlic, parsley and habanero pepper. Add the crushed stock cubes, black pepper and salt. Mix very well and set aside.
Marinate and Refrigerate
- Dry the water from the fish using a kitchen paper towel.
- Make deep slant cuts on both sides (the flat sides) of the fish. I usually cut till my knife touches the bone.
- Stuff about 3 orange wedges into the gill space.
- Scoop the marinade into the cuts made in step 2 making sure to get as much marinade into the cuts as possible. Put some into the gill pockets too.
- Transfer the fish to a wide enough aluminium foil sheet.
- Squeeze some orange juice (from the wedges) on the fish and add the remaining orange wedges and the sliced onions onto the fish. If you are preparing more than 1 fish, remember to reserve some of the ingredients for the other fish.
- Place another sheet of aluminium foil on the fish and fold the 2 sheets around the fish to make an envelope.
- Place the envelope(s) in the fridge for about 1 hour to marinate.
Grill and Enjoy!
- After 1 hour, set your oven to 200°C / 400F to preheat for 10 minutes.
- Put the fish envelope on the oven rack and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the top foil sheets and rub the barbecue sauce on the fish.
- Set the oven to grill (broil) and grill for 10 minutes.
- If you will serve the fish with Fruit Skewers, put them in the oven to heat up and char for a bit.
Source: All Nigerian Recipe