THE CREATION OF THE WORLD: A YORUBA MYTH
was created according to the Yorubas of West Africa.
The entire world was filled with water when God decided to create the world.
God sent his messenger Obatala to perform the task of creating the world.
Obatala brought along his helper, a man named Oduduwa as well as a calabash
full of earth and a chicken. Then they began their descent to earth from a
Along the way, they stopped over at a feast where Obatala got drunk from
drinking too much palm wine. Oduduwa, finding his master drunk, picked up the
calabash and the chicken and continued on the journey.
When Oduduwa reached the earth, he sprinkled earth from the calabash over the
water and he dropped the chicken on the earth. The chicken then ran around
spreading the earth in every direction he moved until there was land. Oduduwa
had now created earth from what used to be water.
Later when Obatala got out of his drunken haze, he discovered that Oduduwa had
already performed his task and he was very upset. God however gave him another
task to perform ? to create the people that would populate the earth.
And that was how the world was created in a place now called Ile-Ife.
You May Also Like
- AJE OLOKUN – THE DEITY OF WEALTH AND MARKET PROFITABILITY
- UGANDAN BANYANKOLE TRIBE; WHERE BRIDE’S AUNT TEST-RUN GROOM’S POTENCY
- UNTOLD FACTS AND THE ORIGIN OF THE “ARE ONA KAKANFO” TITLE
- THE MYSTERIOUS AND MYTHICAL SOGIDI LAKE IN AWE, OYO STATE
- BEING IN A RELATIONSHIP
- BIOGRAPHY OF (SIR) CHIEF (HON.) LAWYER, SAMUEL LADOKE AKINTOLA (GCON)
- ALL ABOUT A TRIBE IN NAMIBIA; WHERE THEY OFFER SEX TO GUESTS
- THE FEARLESS AND GALLANT AMAZONS OF DAHOMEY
- PROFESSOR (CHIEF) HON. NATHANIEL DUROJAYE (N.D) OYERINDE (OBE): THE FIRST NIGERIAN PROFESSOR