Welcome! You are on your path to discovering how to prepare, a mouth-licking, palatable recipe… You can and will prepare a potato and fish porridge,
just by following these simple steps…
Ingredients for Potato and Fish Porridge
- 2 medium Irish potatoes (spuds)
- 1 fish cut
- 1 small red onion
- 2 tablespoons red palm oil
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- Seasoning cube (to taste)
- Leafy spinach: for garnish (alternative: garden egg leaves)
Notes on the ingredients
- Use your favourite fish for this meal: tilapia, gilt head bream fish, catfish, conger eel, mackerel (a.k.a. titus in Nigeria). Do not use bony fish when preparing this for kids.
- When preparing this for kids less than one year old, do not add salt, pepper and seasoning cubes.
- You can use other types of peppers: habanero pepper (atarodo) or dry pepper.
- If you are outside Nigeria, use leafy spinach for the garnish, in Nigeria, use garden egg leaves.
Before you cook Potato and Fish Porridge
- Peel, wash and cut the potato into small cubes.
- Dice the onion.
- Wash and slice the spinach or the garden egg leaves and set aside.
- Grind the black pepper or the habanero pepper (atarodo) or dry pepper.
- Place the potatoes in a pot, pour water to cover them slightly, add the pepper and diced onions. If using seasoning cubes, crush and sprinkle on top of the ingredients and stir.
- Place the fish on top, cover the pot and start cooking on medium heat.
- Once it boils, gently turn the fish on the other side to ensure that it cooks well.
- After about 3 minutes, gently remove the fish and set aside.
- Add palm oil and salt to taste.
- Stir cover and cook on high heat till the water surrounding the potatoes starts to thicken (form a porridge).
- When the potato is well cooked, add the fish back in the pot, stir gently and turn off the heat.
COMMENT; JOIN THIS CONVERSATION!